Last October at the Drug Policy Alliance conference I had the honor of meeting Dr. Carl Hart, author of the critically acclaimed book, High Price – A Neuroscientist’s Journey of Self-Discovery That Challenges Everything You Know About Drugs and Society.
Dr. Hart is an associate professor in the departments of Psychology and Psychiatry at Columbia University. He is a research scientist in the Division of Substance Abuse at the New York State Psychiatric Institute. He is also a member of the National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse and on the board of directors of the College on Problems of Drug Dependence and the Drug Policy Alliance.
In this interview Dr. Hart discusses:
- What it was like to grow up in one of Miami’s toughest neighborhoods.
- The current state on the “war on drugs.”
- The two things Dr. Hart believes must change for us to make real progress dealing with addiction and abuse in our society.
- The impact of the legalization of marijuana and how it will affect teenagers.
- Why alcohol is not the problem.
- How to talk to your kids about drugs and alcohol.